Sunday, October 26, 2008

Guest Blog : Tasha Ives
















As of late, my family has been the recipient of random acts of kindness. A meal brought to my home…money given in a time of need…a hug…a call…a card. All given by people who were just being good.

The funny thing is, although our close friends and family took part in these acts of “being good”, most of these transactions of kindness were performed by strangers! Yes, complete and total strangers.

The general kindness began when my daughter was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor…and the kindness just continues to come our way…from the ice cream shop owner, doling out the free scoops, to the little old lady who handed over what could have been her grocery money…to the all-expanse-paid trip to Disney…all given with no strings attached.

At first, this outpouring of kindness didn’t settle well with me. I am one who never wants to make someone feel obligated…never wants to bother someone…much less, possibly take their last dollar.

But as the giving continued, I realized that although their main purpose was to help a family in need, there was a secondary reason for giving…it just really feels good to give. I saw the need to give on their faces…heard it in their voices…read it in their emails. They wanted to give, and wanted nothing in return.

Good thing, too, because we will never be able to repay all the goodness that has been shown to us. Honestly, I am not even aware of the sheer numbers of “do gooders” who’ve helped…how can I ever thank the anonymous giver?

By giving. I can give to others in need. I can reach beyond my own tragic circumstances and give. My heart has been changed. Because I have been given much, I want to give much…and I want nothing in return…just the joy of doing good.

Maybe a meal taken to a home…money, in a time of need…a hug…a call…a card. I can just be good...no strings attached.

--------------
To learn more about Tasha and her daughter's journey click here!

{image from Tasha Ives}

1 comment:

pve design said...

Lovely, visit me today - give back tuesday.
pve