Friday, February 20, 2009

Week 3: Bulembu


Farewell to Bulembu

It is our last night in Bulembu. The weather has been great for our last few days. A couple of nights ago we got to see a pretty fascinating lightning storm. The sky and stars seem so clear hear as we are far from any form of city life. I have most definitely gained a new appreciation for nature while being here. I have seen so many bugs and creatures unknown to us at home.

I have had a bit of mixed emotions in our closings days here. I am looking forward to my new home in Cape Town and the relationships that await me there, but I am also a bit sad as we bring closure to the relationships developed here. Sunday we went to the BMS houses again for our usual hang out with the kids there. They cooked corn, or “maize” as they say, over the fire for us again as we sat and talked. A few of the boys did yet another choreographed dance for us. After the dancing, four of the boys took the initiative to simply sit in front of the camera and tell us a bit about themselves. Each of them talked about what they wanted to be when they grew up. One boy in particular really captured my heart as he told me he wanted to be a professional soccer player in order to make lots of money. He told me he would use the money to take care of the poor, widows, and orphans. I am sure the reality of life around him has given him much perspective on what is important in life, as he is just fifteen years old.

We couldn’t bare to say goodbye to them yet, so we promised to return the next day. We went back on Monday with gifts. We wanted to give them something before we parted, but all we had to give were some stuffed animals and candy. We took it to the houses, and I know both Amy and I felt a bit stupid about how insignificant our gifts were. We handed them out, and of course the kids were so excited and thankful. We felt a little better, until it was time to say goodbye. This was so hard; mostly because I know that many of these kids already have issues with people leaving, as many of them were left, in some way, by their parents. I also had no idea when I would be able to see them again. That, combined with the disappointed looks on their faces as we said goodbye was enough to put knots in my stomach. Sometimes I wonder if short visits like ours does more harm than good when it comes to befriending orphans. As Amy and I walked up the hill away from the orphan houses we asked ourselves what else we could do that would make a significant difference in their lives. We came to one conclusion- we could stay.

After these heavy thoughts, I had to remind myself of a few things. First, these kids are being taken care of incredibly well and getting the best education available in Swaziland. Also, they have a place they call home and friends that are like brothers and sisters. They are in good hands! This makes parting a tiny bit easier.

We leave early tomorrow morning for Matsapa airport. I cannot help but wonder if my feet will ever tread again on Swazi soil. I have no idea, but I would like to think so.

No comments: